Re: art.ubuntu.com nearly ready ...

Thomas Wood wrote:

One more thing to note is that art.gnome.org currently looks for themes and backgrounds with an ID less that 1000 in a different directory ("archive"). This is because when the user system was introduced, the old themes without a user id where "archived" to a different location.

Thanks, I found that one too :)

I plan to work through the code a bit over the weekend and then I'll comment on various quirks like this. But before doing that I should just say that I'm not an experienced PHP coder, so things that seem strange to me may be very reasonable and standard practice.

One thing that comes to mind is that admin/add_background has a form that calls itself and in my installation this causes it to forget the name of the thumbnail. Would it not be better to split this into two separate files?: one for getting info from the admin-user and one for processing it (and updating the DB). There may be a very good reason for doing it the way it is, but it just seems fragile to my inexperienced eye.

I'm trying to make proper patches as I go along, but I'm not sure how useful they will be for you as I sometimes inject Ubuntu-specific information. Anyway, I'll make them available, as well as the full code in tarballs as I go along here: http://69.60.114.112/source/

In some cases where things just don't work for me I may make some ugly hacks (because I need to get this up in the next few days). But in those cases I'll mark it clearly in the code. Those might actually be trouble spots that would be instructive to look at.

btw: our art team has made a wiki-page about this with issues that I should address as I set it up: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuArtWebsite

- Henrik