[xslt] xsltproc segfaults under windows

I'm using libxml2-2.6.17 and libxslt-1.1.12 and getting segfaults with

  xsltproc -v function.1.xsl function.1.xml

the end of the log says:

xsltProcessOneNode: applying template '/' for /
xsltApplyOneTemplate: copy node out
xsltValueOf: select my:count-elements()
Lookup function {my://own.uri}count-elements
found function count-elements
xsltForEach: select (//*)[1]
xsltForEach: select evaluates to 1 nodes
xsltApplyOneTemplate: extension construct result
xsltCopyTextString: copy text 17
xsltValueOf: result 17
Shutting down module : http://exslt.org/functions
freeing transformation dictionnary

then it blows up with a "The instruction at '0x77fbd61b' referenced memory
at 0x00000010. The memory could not be written. This happens to be somewhere
in libxml2.

did anything change in the shutdown code for libxml2 that would happen
during or after "freeing transformation dictionnary" in recent releases?

this is preventing me from completing my test-plugins-on-win32 work a.t.m.
any help appreciated!

jr