Re: [xslt] problems with libxslt and python on Mac OS X

On 29 Mar 2004, at 16:59, Marc-Antoine Parent wrote:

> FYI, I tried to reproduce the problem with my install, and I do not
> have this problem (both tests succeed with a OK.)

I didn't say exactly what I'd done:

I compiled libxml2 2.6.8 and libxslt 1.1.5 from source using the
following invocations:

libxml2:

$ ./configure --with-python=/path/to/python/dir
$ make
$ sudo make install

libxslt:

$ ./configure --with-python=/path/to/python/dir
--with-libxml-prefix=/usr/local \
--with-libxml-include-prefix=/usr/local/include
--with-libxml-libs-prefix=/usr/local/lib
$ make
$ sudo make install

The tests produced the results I attached before.

I then compiled and installed libxml2 2.6.5 and libxslt 1.1.2 over the
top of these using exactly the same invocations, and both tests
described produced 'OK'.

> But there may be many differences:
> a) I am building against Python 2.2.3 (though I also ran this on a
> stock Panther Python 2.3.0 install.)

I built against a 2.3.3 framework python in /Library/Frameworks

> b) When I build the bindings, I manually add instructions to the
> Makefiles for building with prebinding.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean - I thought that prebinding was
something primarily associated with Cocoa apps? Can you explain more

> I have had serious crashing problems in the past, where my Python
> executable would get confused between my recent libxml2 and the oldish
> one from Panther... I think ensuring that the library versions are
> correct (i.e. running the autogen.sh)

Like I said above: I recompiled 1.1.2 using the same methods and got
vastly different results, which makes me think that it's probably not
that...

> I recommend that you gdb your program, and see whether the old libxml
> gets loaded (it is used by Foundation.framework, so it is hard to
> avoid.)

I'm afraid that's way beyond my experience: I'm a dynamic-languages
only coder :(

> Also, you might want to test against my build (it contains the
> libraries, built in /usr/local, and the bindings)

Cool, thanks - I'll have a look and see if I can figure it out!

Thanks,

Matt

--
   Matt Patterson | Design & Code