Re: [xslt] floor(), ceiling(), and round() functions and negativevalues

John Fleck wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 08:13, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
>>On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 08:38:09AM -0600, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>[...]
>>
>>>Are these indeed bugs?  If so, I'll file an official bug report.
>>
>>  libxslt doesn't make a difference between -0 and 0, right this may
>>be considered a bug ... The associated questions are:
>>    - does anybody care ?
>>    - does anybody knows how to code the detection in a way
>>      portable across the set of architectures libxslt support ?
>

> Before we use up precious bandwidth on the arcane question of zero and
> negative zero, no less an authority than my daughter, Nora, points out
> that the notion of negative zero is silly. However, the folks who wrote
> the XPATH specification did not have the wisdom to consult Nora, so the
> specification includes negative zero.

Xpath is hardly the only negative zero case, there is a negative zero in
most signed magnitud number systems, of which ieee fp is the presently most
widespread one (another is bcd, yet others are i believe 1-complement
machines). Its mostly an artefact though there are occurences when it is
not totaly useless.