[xslt] reading from DTD

I have a question about libxslt and really xslt in
general...if you specify default values for attributes
in the DTD, and then do

<xsl:value-of select="@etc"/>

in your transformation on a node that is missing the
attribute, should the default value be outputted???
or is this just not implemented...it doesn't seem to
be working an any of the parsers, unless I am doing
something wrong...if so, could someone give me a super
simple example??

Dan