Re: Interaction between applications and compositing managers

Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> writes:

> On Monday 03 April 2006 23:23, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> > Soeren Sandmann a écrit :
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > To integrate a compositing manager well with the rest of the desktop,
> > > new hints and protocols between applications and compositing managers
> > > are needed. This message is intended to start that discussion.

> > (2) I think that using a new property "_NET_WM_UNMANAGED_TYPE" (and then
> > NET_WM_UNMANAGED_TYPE_DND_WINDOW ...etc) will help to avoid confusion.
>
>  I think I disagree here. I don't see any compelling reason to have a separate
> type for override-redirect windows and IMHO it will avoid about as much
> confusion as it will create:

Well, one reason is that having two separate types is somewhat simpler
to implement, at least in gtk+. If they were one type, logically, the
existing enumeration would have to be extended which is an API break
(because of things like switch statements without a default). Not
impossible to work around of course.

Soren