Re: Interaction between applications and compositing managers

Soeren Sandmann a écrit :
Olivier Chapuis <olivier chapuis free fr> writes:

Yes maybe. But IMHO  override-redirect window should not be used for
notification or I do not understand the type of notification
you talk about. Any way this is not important for a preliminary
discussion.

The notifications I am talking are the bubbles that might emerge from
the panel to inform you that the battery is dying, or that the printer
is out of paper etc., etc.,

ah, ok, I understand better.

I have attached a draft extension to the wm-spec, in the form of a
patch agains CVS HEAD.

Overview:

- New _NET_WM_UNMANAGED_WINDOW_TYPE property

Why did you use the HINT key words in the various type. Seems not
useful to me.

- New _NET_WM_CM_Sn manager selection for compositing managers

- A recommendation that clients also set WM_TRANSIENT_FOR on override
  redirect windows.

I think that this extension of the spec will be really helpful. It will be good to have some comments/approval from some GTK and QT developers, as at the end it will be their responsibility to implement the spec. Owen, Matthias? There is maybe some QT developers on this list, at least Lubos may give an advice?

Olivier