Re: frame size hints - for Wine

Hi All,

I read the thread last November about "frame size hints".

Wine is another "application" where it would be nice to know how large the window manager frame is.

Wine needs to know the border sizes when calculating the size of a window's client area. The Win32 API passes the size and location of the whole window, including the frame to CreateWindow, so to find the correct size of the client area, we should first remove the size of the window frame...

The biggest problem is that we need to know this before the window is mapped, so that we can send the application a WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING message with its new size :-(

Because we have no reliable way to determine the frame size, Wine currently has problems when an application maximizes a window, or creates a window the size of the screen... the client area may be incorrectly sized, or the borders of the window may not be visible.

If the window manager specification could provide a way to (pre-)determine the size of the frame, it would be a good thing for the Wine project.

Mike