Re: Lots of _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN issues ...

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 03:17:22PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:49:47PM +0100, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > > resolution and cope with it. This is what happens with Xrandr.
> >
> > Uhm, no, Xrandr is something else.  But the man page looks intresting,
> > maybe I should use that instead of VidMode.
> >
> > Hmm, Debian/stable (XFree86 4.1.0) hasn't this.  Looks like this is
> > something new?  Anyone knows when this was added?
>
> Yes, it's new in XFree 4.3.
>
> > Exactly.  Where you can switch the resolution with Ctrl + Alt +
> > plus/minus.  This resolution switching can also be done using
> > the VidMode extention, and this is used by xawtv to go to
> > fullscreen at 640x480 ...
>
> Oh, so VidMode does not change the actual size of the root window,
> just changes the size of the "viewport"
>
> Xrandr changes the size of the root window, so it doesn't introduce a
> scrolling/viewport effect.

It was stated somewhere here that the apps should be changing the resolution
instead of the WM because it is platform specific. But wouldn't it be nicer
to find a WM that works on your platform and have all fullscreen apps work
on it, rather than have to find a WM that works AND apps that will work on
the specific platform?

So now every WM that wants to support fullscreen applications properly needs
to support Xrandr, VidMode, and any other extensions that might provide this
functionality? IMO, it would be far cleaner if the application requested the
resolution change (possibly a separate hint, which the WM could then
advertise), so that any WM would only need to work with the extension(s) it
wanted to, and behaviour could be more predictable.

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

http://www.icculus.org/openbox/