window frames

Is there a technical reason for a client to not draw its window frames?

I know there are legacy reasons, but I think they can be handled
transparently by maintained window managers and toolkits.

Clients that don't draw frames
   The window manager, which would still exist, can check for a window
   property indicating the client handles its frame. If the property is
   not found, then the window manager would provide a frame.

Legacy window managers
   A property could be set by the window manager to indicate it prefers
   client-drawn frames. Clients would forgo drawing when this property
   is absent.

Appearance
   A root window property can provide a description of how frames should be
   drawn. Complex frame elements of static size and shape can be stored
   as server-side pixmaps.

I'll defer elaboration until it's indicated that the benefits are not obvious.

Thoughts, snide remarks, flames?

Cheers,
Greg Merchan