Re: desktop layout patch

On Thursday 11 July 2002 07:10 pm, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Michael Toomim <toomim uclink4 berkeley edu> writes:
> > ... what is this special case for?  Can we just keep the spec clean,
> > and say that both X and Y MUST have non-zero values?
> >
> > I wrote a sawfish extension using this protocol for
> > select-workspace-up/down/right/left commands, and found this special
> > case annoying.  It basically just adds another set of if statements to
> > a section of code that's contorted already, and I don't see the point.
> >
> > This was a part of Waldo's original proposal.  Does anyone know the
> > motivation?  If not, can we strike it out?
>
> I can't think of a reason to have it offhand, really, no.

It stems from the situation that our panel imposes either a X or Y value but
the other value is a function of the number of desktops. By spec'ing it this
way you will still have correct layout information when something else
changes the number of desktops. Otherwise you may have incorrect layout
between the time the number of dekstops change and the time the panel reacts
to that change with new layout information.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian kde org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian suse com