Re: Application modal transients windows

On  6 Nov, Matthias Ettrich scribbled:
->  On Fri, 05 Nov 1999, raster@rasterman.com wrote:
->  > On  5 Nov, Matthias Ettrich scribbled:
->  > ->  >
->  > ->  > anyone got insight into this? i think it's good we have a debate on
->  > ->  > this now, rather than leave it half-done and end up with a standard
->  > ->  > several of us may think is inadequate
->  > ->  >
->  > ->
->  > ->  I agree with Raster here. A rgba datastream to store the icon has several
->  > ->  advantages.  It's a little bit more complicated for simple window managers
->  > ->  to handle (but hey, who can't handle rgb data?) but it won't slow things down.
->  > ->
->  > ->  What's happening currently (at least with KWM ) is:
->  >
->  > you missed the:
->  >          - the app creates pixmap - waits for server reply
->  >          - the app creates Ximage or XShmImage (in shm this means
->  >          another server to and fro to negotiate shm segment)
->  >          - the app converts image data of disk or memory to Ximage
->  >          - the app XPut/XShmPutImage's the data
->
->  we missed even more. one pixmap isn't sufficient at all. Most applications
->  define two, a data pixmap and a mask (=> even more roundtrips).
->
->  Obviously an argb datastream in the ONE BIG net property on each client window
->  is the way to go :)

wedll since there are no objections how about we change the icon
property specs to use:

_NET_WIN_ICON CARDINAL[2+n]/32 (32bit packed CARDINAL ARGB data with
high byte being A, low byte being B for icon - app may provide icon at
any size - 1st 2 CARDINALS are width and height respectively in pixels.
data is on order of top row first, pixels ordered left to right)

Notes:
ARGB is 8 bits per Alpha, Red, Green and Blue channel, image data is not
pre-multiplied by Alpha. Alpha value 0 = transparent, 255 = opaque.

If the window manager gets a property notify for this property it
shoudl re-read the property data contents and any visible icons
displays for this window shoudl be then re-rendered and updated so the
user can see the updated version.

Thsi property should only be set on top-level windows and not on group
leader windows that are unmapped.

The window manager is free to res-cale the icons data to fit the
available space for it to be displayed. it may re-color, rmap and
dither the icosn too according to user preferences for color image
rendering quality etc.

Has anyone got anymore to add to this/change/modify/comment ? If not i
suggets we adopt the above as the _NET_WIN_ICON standard for icons for
windows.

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster@rasterman.com     raster@valinux.com