Re: Application modal transients windows

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Bradley T. Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Paul Warren wrote:

> > So, do we add another hint indicating application modality, and go and try
> > to persuade the GTK people to change their ways, or do we put up with this
> > bending of the ICCCM.
>
> application modal dialogs?  if i'm not mistaken... modality should be
> handled by the application... not the window manager... unless of course
> you are wanting to make sure that windows with WM_TRANSIENT_FOR==root to be
> centered on the screen, raised, etc.

Yes.  The window manager needs hints so that it can eg. keep the dialog
above the window for which it is a transient.  For our purposes, an
application modal dialog is a transient for more than one window, eg. a
window manager would choose to keep it above all windows in the group.

yours,

Paul