Re: Window Manager configuration utilities

Paul Warren wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > Setting background colors/pixmaps should have nothing to do with the specs
> > we try to build.
>
> I think it does.  As has been discussed in the last few emails, it is
> pointless trying to define a new spec if we haven't even yet defined the
> line between window manager functionality and desktop environment
> functionality.  Certainly under Gnome this is an area of conflict because
> both Gnome and most window managers will try to set the background,
> resulting in great confusion.
>
> This list is designed to come up with a new specification for window
> managers to co-operate with desktop environments.  Defining the role of a
> window manager in such a set up should be a first task.

The spec must make it POSSIBLE for the WM to do the minimal possible
thing: managing window borders. We must include basic interface so that
external pagers/taskbars/... can be implemented in generic way that will
work with any WM that supports these concepts. Also, applications must
be able to set things like default/workspace/layer/...

Mark
--
... GUI: WPS.
Marko.Macek@gmx.net                 http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4fr0235/