Re: Window Manager configuration utilities

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Paul Warren wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Nathan Clemons wrote:
> [...]
> > Perhaps we should make a list of what should be made optional, as a
> > recommendation, but in the end, it's all up to the WM. Certain WMs may
> > want to force certain methods of behavior, and not allow the user to
> > change them. This would result in another individuality of the WM... not
> > saying this is the best way to do it, but perhaps the Right Way.
> >
> > What I _think_ we need to focus more on in this realm is a standard to
> > define:
> >
> > a> the WM

And this is all. Let's focus on this and let the work be done.

> > b> the WM config tool
> > c> the WM documentations
> > d> the WM config tool documentation

There is little chance that recommendations on these areas will ever gain
more than slight attention. While authors tend to base the actually
functional part of their "product" on common standards, when it comes to
utilities, they have strongly personal ideas on what is right. E.g. docu,
some will despise sgml/html pages, others will dismiss man/info pages as
desuet. I personally believe those last three topics should be for the
moment put to rest. Let's focus on that spec we all are eager for.

> There is one exception to the above - (I propose that) a gnome compliant
> window manager should have no setting for the desktop background, because
> Gnome already provides this functionality.  Alternatively, we provide
> a way to change the gnome background, and insist that the wm use these.

See? This is what I mean. WM's like fvwm and derivatives, which include a
slew of desktop-like functionalities would have to firstly care about
respecting an ICCCM-like extended WM functionality spec, then left in
peace to do whatever they see fit with the extended desktop-like
functionalities (launchbars, rootmenus, bgsetters etc.). WM's choosing
thighter integration to desktop envirs (like KWM or the future kwin) can
then restrain to only fully cover the spec we all work for here, and let
the burden for the rest of things to the appropriate desktop tools.

Let's limit to the WM spec itself. Any extension (config tools, docu) will
only force ones or others of the WM authors now present here out of the
interest for this discussion.

Cristian

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna