Re: Work in Progress: draft 1.9a

Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 1999, Marko Macek wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Thanks for your work Marko (I'm, unfortunately, running a bit out of time).
>
> Regarding decorations: Didn't we agree on dropping the DECORATION hint and use
> the Motif hint instead?  At least someone argued heavily for that and finally
> convinced me.

It is really too bad that we can't simply extend motif hints with some
additional stuff: decoration style, rollup button, close button.

> > _NET_CLIENT_LIST, XA_WINDOW[]/32
> >
> > An array of all X Windows managed by the window manager.
> >
> > [[This is simple. Does anyone feel we need a faster mechanism based  on
> > incremental updates? (based selection query + ADD/REMOVE updates, we
> > must  be careful about race conditions if we do this)?
> > It would be nice to have a query for managed windows in Z-order, for
> > external implementation of Alt-Tab]]
>
> It looks like we need at least three lists then :
>
>     _NET_CLIENT_LIST creation/mapping order
>     _NET_CLIENT_LIST_FOCUS focus order, for external alt-tab implementation
>     _NET_CLIENT_LIST_STACKING stacking order (for tools like a pager).
>
> While STACKING looks important to me, FOCUS isn't. An external alt-tab
> implementation can monitor both _NET_CLIENT_LIST and _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW to keep
> track of the focus chain.

To implement Alt+Tab you need Z-ORDER. If we are going to do this we
most likely need dynamic updates after selection query.

> Keeping track of the stacking order is far more complicated, especially since
> the module can't know whether the window manager really obeys the layer hint or
> not.

Yes. This is complicated. We should make it easy to retrieve.

Mark
--
... GUI: WPS.
Marko.Macek@gmx.net                 http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4fr0235/