Re: windows on multiple workspaces

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Nathan Harry Dushman wrote:

> I'm working on GNOME patches for CTWM, which supports windows that occupy
> multiple desktops but not all desktops.  The most recent wm spec says that
> a window may be either sticky or occupy a single desktop.  Would anyone
> else support windows that are on several desktops?

I believe Sawmill now offers something similar.  As I understand it, a
windows still "belongs" to one workspace but it can appear on others -
I'm not entirely sure what difference that makes functionally, though.

> Would it be possible
> for the wm spec to provide a way to indicate this?  Thanks,

I would be reluctant to put this into the current spec. The only reason
that this would need to be in the spec is so that a "universal" pager
(eg. the Gnome pager) can work with it.  As I have said before, I think
that extending the spec such that a universal pager can handle all
features of all window managers is futile, and is counter productive to
the aim of getting the spec as widely adopted as is possible.

If a Window Manager wants pager interaction beyond what is covered by
the spec then I think the best thing is for the Window Manager to
provide its own pager.  This is preferable to increasing the size and
complexity of the spec.

yours,

Paul