Re: [Utopia] Re: Gnome Volume Mgr ==> Gnome Hardware Mgr ??

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 17:06 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 11:20 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 11:17 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 10:55 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> > > So instead of having 5000 lines of gnome-power-manager source code, why
> > > not simply add a 500 line patch to gnome-hardware-manager that does
> > > exactly this and no more?
> >
> > Nod.
>
> g-p-m has 4834 lines of code. 5000 wasn't far wrong. I'm not sure how
> you could reduce it to a 500 line patch tho.
>
> The reasons I think it should stay separate are:
>
> 1. It has deps that g-v-m doesn't need, e.g. libnotify
> 2. Some users will want to uninstall it completely (think servers) or
> disable it separate from g-v-m.

we can have the power management thing be disabled when there is no
battery, as it does now.

> 3. It isn't related to other hardware - it's not like plugging in a
> scanner and expecting it to lauch a scanning app, it's monitoring
> batteries, UPS's and wireless mice, and providing policy for compound
> actions.

as someone else already said, g-v-m already deals with mice, so we would
be adding only battery support.

> 4. The release cycle is rapid, and the core code base keeps changing
> (which is a benefit of being non-core-gnome).

though, being core gnome makes it much better reviewed and tested.

> 5. The preferences program would not integrate well with the current
> g-v-m UI.

I think the power preferences can still be a separate applet.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>