[Utopia] Re: [Gnome-Power-Devel] power mgmt in GNOME; requirements?

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 15:09 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 19:54 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 02:01 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > >  o Track when the user is idle (and inform other apps)
> > >    - applications can do batch processing when user is idle
> > >      - downloading email messages (evolution)
> > >      - rebuilding indexes (updatedb, makewhatis)
> > >      - rearranging sectors for optimized boot etc.
> >
> > How can we define idle? Do we take into account:
> >
> > 1. CPU
> > 2. Disk activity
> > 3. Network activity
> >
> > or all of them? How can we get this information in a
> > arch/driver/system-independent way?
>
> I wrote "when user is idle", e.g. when the user hasn't used the keyboard
> or moved the mouse for a while. I'd suggest looking at the xscreensaver
> daemon; I'm pretty sure the X server can tell you.

Ahh, user idle, not machine idle, that's an easier problem to solve.

> > >  o The end-user preferences capplet should have the notion of profiles
> > >    only if there is more than one power source
> > >    - running on mains / running on laptop battery / running on UPS
> >
> > Why do we need profiles? Can not the veto stuff automatically set
> > different modes through logic?
> >

> When I'm sitting in the park and my laptop is running on battery I want
> it to suspend after 10 minutes. When it's plugged into mains at work I
> want it to be two hours. Look at the XvsXP site I posted in my original
> mail for more examples.
>
> > Is what I've done currently the right sort of profile thing or is there
> > a better way.
>
> Please elaborate.

At the moment there are two different combos for "on mains" and "on
batteries" for all the suspend type stuff. I.e. you can set to suspend
after 10 minutes if on battery, and after 1 hour if on mains. Are you
suggesting a policy for switching manually? Is there any need for this?

Thanks,

Richard.