Re: [Utopia] Media/Device Type Spec???

Hi,

This discussion should probably take place on xdg-list.

Looking at your proposal, I'm not sure mixing MIME types into handling
events is the way to go - it seems like two different things. What about
just doing it the same way as actions are described here

 http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec/0.9.4/ar01s07.html

It could look like this for k3b (I'm making all of this up :-)

 [Desktop Action DeviceInserted]
 Exec=k3b --burner-device=%d
 Icon=<some-icon>
 DeviceCategories=BlankDisc
 Comment=Burn discs with k3b

and like this for Totem

 [Desktop Action DeviceInserted]
 Exec=totem --action=%n --hal-udi=%u
 Icon=<some-totem-icon-with-a-disc-superimposed>
 DeviceCategories=AudioDisc;VideoDisc
 Comment=Consume your media in totem

 [Desktop Action DeviceInserted]
 Exec=totem --action=%n --hal-udi=%u
 Icon=<some-totem-icon-with-a-portable-audio-player-superimposed>
 DeviceCategories=PortableAudioPlayer
 Comment=Transfer music between your audio player and computer

and for Rhythmbox

 [Desktop Action DeviceInserted]
 Exec=rhythmbox --import-from-audio-player --hal-udi=%u
 DeviceCategories=PortableAudioPlayer
 Comment=Transfer music between your audio player and computer

and so forth (%n is the name of the DeviceCategory that matched the
device; if more than one category matches the first one listed in
DeviceCategories wins). Obviously g-v-m would consume the Icon and
Comment in the 'select an application' dialog.

Or something, just a thought. I'm not even sure multiple [Desktop Action
DeviceInserted] are legal though.

David