Re: [Usability] Modifiers + Scroll => Zoom, which modifiers to use?

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 11:22:02PM +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:

> Windows(/FF [probably]):
> ctrl+scroll: zoom
>
> GIMP, Nautilus:
> shift+scroll: zoom
>
> we have to decide whether consistency with win is important here, or
> whether double-stepped scrolling should be bound to ctrl.
> Any opinions?

Consistency inside one environment is much mor important than
consistency with another one.

It seems ctrl is usualy the first and more often used modifier.
Now the Gimp uses ctrl+wheel for horizontal scrolling, something
much closer to the 'native' wheel function, vertical scrolling.
Therfor it makes sense to have the more 'exotic' zooming on shift.

I asume Gimp was the first OS app to implement modifiers for the
wheel, at least out of all that still matter. It would only be fair
to follow there example, as long as there are no very good reasosns
not to do so.

---
Thorsten Wilms