Re: [Usability] Modifiers + Scroll => Zoom, which modifiers to use?

Dnia 30-05-2005, pon o godzinie 23:22 +0200, Christian Neumair napisał:
> Bug 79352 [1] suggested that "shift-mousewheel could zoom in / out on
> nautilus views", which sounded like a good idea. Now that Nautilus HEAD
> zooms the current directory view when the user presses shift+zoom, Mike
> Miller suggested [2] to use the ctrl key as zoom-triggering scroll
> modifier, since other applications (many win apps, probably firefox or
> mozilla) have this binding. Also note that currently, Epiphany has ctrl
> +scroll bound to quick scroll (double-stepped).
>
> Windows(/FF [probably]):
> ctrl+scroll: zoom
>
> GIMP, Nautilus:
> shift+scroll: zoom
>
> we have to decide whether consistency with win is important here, or
> whether double-stepped scrolling should be bound to ctrl.
> Any opinions?

I'd say Shift+scroll for zoom, Ctrl+scroll for horizontal scroll (ie,
the GIMP option). But that's probably because I learned that using GIMP,
so it's most natural binding for me. Note that (AFAIR) Inkscape uses the
opposite bindings (ie, windows option + horizontal scroll added). Also
note that Galeon uses Ctrl+scroll for zoom, but with swapped directions
compared to all other apps (ie, SCROLL_UP means zoom out, not zoom in,
this seems to be unique to gecko apps, firefox also has swapped
directions). In a word, it's a big mess atm, could definitely use some
standarisation.

Cheers,
Maciej

--