Re: [Usability] Gnome Usability

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 09:43 +0200, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
> On 5/17/05, Tom McLernon <tommclernon shaw ca> wrote:
> > I copied these into the Linux Fonts Folder and they seemed to
> > work fine, there seems to be more than one font folder in Linux, in fact
> > several.  I don't know which systems get their fonts out of which folders,
> > but it seemed that each folder contained a specific type of font, since mine
> > are TT, I loaded them into the TT folder.
>
> The easiest way is to use the hidden .fonts folder in the user
> directory. This can be reached from going to Preferences -> Font
> Preferences -> Details -> Go to font folder. Unfortunately this
> doesn't seem to be extremely well known yet, so often users get more
> complicated responses when they ask about it.

Question - how exactly is $HOME/.fonts.conf used, and is it created
automatically? I am working on a patch to label per user fonts
on a SELinux-aware system with a different type than ROLE_home_t.

This involves solving the following three problems:

- $HOME/.fonts should probably be pre-created, so that files put inside
automatically get the right context. This probably requires modifying
the fontconfig rpm to put .fonts in /etc/skel (will file bugzilla),
and policy changes to allow useradd to set its context

- $HOME/.fonts.cache-.* should be created with the right context - seems
to require libfontconfig-libselinux integration (or something at a
lower level, since this problem keeps coming up for various programs)

- $HOME/.fonts.conf  - not sure what to do about this - depends if
it's created automatically

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 cornell edu>
Cornell University