Re: [Usability] Save / open dialogs (no file name entry)

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 22:55, Juha Siltala wrote:
> Leif is dead right. I was confused until somebody told me about ctrl+l.
> It cannot be described as very discoverable.

Typing in filenames for the present folder is handled with the typeahead
built into the list widget, which is relatively discoverable since users
might just try it blind: file list widgets on other platforms sometimes
have a similar function with which the user may be familiar.  Typing in
full paths is something the user could not be expected to discover
anyway, since at no other point in the desktop is the slash-separated
path used in the UI.

The discoverability of the Ctrl-L function is improved somewhat in GNOME
2.10, wherein this functionality is present in the context menu that one
sees upon right clicking the file list.

However, this entry in the context menu does not include the accelerator
key, as a window menu would.  Anybody know the reason for this?  I think
it would be the best place to make this shortcut known.

John