Re: [Usability] Re: Deep thoughts and proposal on the awful trashcan/eject issue (long)

Marc O'Morain wrote:
2. When a removable drive is inserted (and automatically mounted), an
icon that represents the device will appear in the system tray. When a
camera is inserted a camera icon is used, when a USB pen drive is
inserted, a little USB drive icon is shown.
3. If the user clicks on the icon, a menu opens, allowing the user to
open the device in the file manager, to 'stop' the device for safe
removal.

That would mean every removable device had two icons, one for doing stopping and one for doing everything else. That's quite awkward, regardless of whether Windows does it.

Whatever the interface for stopping a device, I think it should involve the device's icon. (I've suggested one possible design, that being a small button in the corner of the icon. I'm not particularly attached to that design, it's just an example of one that could work and that doesn't involve dragging to the Trash.)

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/