[Usability] Tabs

Hi,

what dou think about tabs, especially in web-browsers. I would be interested in how people are using these. My experience is that tabs are more used by geeks and not so much liked by ordinary people. But maybe I am wrong. People seem to love a bookmark-sidebar, although it reduces the size of a browser window. Maybe it would be better to have such sidebar switched on by hover-ing the left side of a browser?

With tabs I know 3 models how to close them

1. Firefox : always close on the right, one X for every tab. Tabs are resized 2. Epiphany: each tab has a X on the right side. Tabs are not resized so some are getting hidden.
3. Safari: each tab has a X on the left side. (resizing?)

I personally prefer: each tab has X on right an tabs are being resized. Size does not matter if you get the full title displayed while hover the mouse over a tab.

The Firefox people think that a X for each tab is much too complicated. I don't think so. What do you think? Anybody has done usability studies on that?