Menubar Like Mac OS. Re: [Usability] Some Proposals for GNOME 3.0 AND BEYOND

The way you quoted the previous message made it difficult to tell what you
had written and what had been written by others.  I will respond as best I
can.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Uno Engborg wrote:

> Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:24:01 +0200
> From: Uno Engborg <uno webworks se>
> To: Gnome Usability List <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Some Proposals for GNOME 3.0 AND BEYOND

> In my experience we use menus within an application more often than we switch between
> appalication, or start new ones. So, if we should pay attention to Fitts Law, perhaps we
> should move the menubar from the active application to the panel, like they do in MacOS, or
> at least have it as an option to do so like in KDE.

It has been recently discussed again (within the past fortnight, should be
dead easy to find in the mailing list archives) and I should make it very
clear that we think it would be great to have the option of a menubar like
they do in Mac OS and we would love to be able to seriously test it and
find out if it really would be better.  There are certain cases where we
are not sure if a Mac OS style menubar will work, in particular for users
that prefer the system of "focus follows mouse" so even if we could do a
Mac OS style menubar it would requre extensived testing.

The big problem at the moment is that no one has implemented the necessary
functionality and by all accounts it would be difficult to do.
Developers will need to add Mac OS style menubar support into GTK before
anything else in that direction could really happen.

> Regards
> Uno Engborg

Sincerely

Alan Horkan