Re: [Usability]gnome-file-dialog UI updated

I agree - this dialog has quite a few issues. For example, it says,
"Home" in the 'location' drop down. Why can't we just display the path?
Maybe this can be configurable? For a newbie maybe "Home" is best, but
for me it is definitly not.

One of the nicest thnigs that I see in Windows is that it now lets me
have access to the generalized context menu for files in the file
selection dialog... that way, if I happen to see a file that I want to
rename or delete or edit during saving (which actually seems to happen
quite often) I don't have to stop what I'm doing and go and open another
application.

I used to think that a regexp style filter would be useful, but that's
the geek in me. The file selection dialog does not need to do that. How
often are you going to have a directory with such a large number of
files with such common names that it would be easier to write a regexp
to find the file than to scroll? Not often :)

I would still REALLY like to be able to manually edit the current path.
Doing it by typing in a directory in the 'filename' entry box is BAD
because it makes you worry that it's going to save the file as a
particular filename if you mistype something or the directory doesn't
exist.

Also, I think that a HISTORY list is probably more useful than a
bookmarks list. It's likely that such a list would be used far more
often than a bookmark list. For example, a history list will always list
your common document directory if you actually use it, but will also
list a far less common directory if you happen to be doing lots in it.

Mat.