Re: [Usability]Re: A (Re)"search" idea

--- Calum Benson <calum benson sun com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 08:44, Joaquin Cuenca Abela
> wrote:
> > I'm nitpicking, but in my proposal there is no
> 'Find'
> > button.  The search is done automatically each
> time
> > the user presses a key.
> >
> > Thus, no need for a 'Find' button (a vestige from
> when
> > computers were slower?)
>
> You haven't used GNOME on a 440Mhz Ultra 10
> recently, have you... :o)

Nope, but I'm pretty sure that speed is not a problem.

The search operation can be hightly optimised if speed
gives problems.  First, the brute force approach may
be good enough, if it's not good enough, then build a
partial trie when you load the file, and that will be
enough to keep the search in real time for any sane
file size.

I don't even think that insane file sizes will be a
problem, but if you really care, you can always do a

while(gtk_events_pending())
    gtk_main_iteration();

in the middle of the search, and restart the search if
the user added anything to the search edit box.

In short, if your user is patient enough to use
GtkTextView, then he will be patient enough to use a
real time search :)

Cheers,

=====
Joaquin Cuenca Abela