Re: [Usability]Re: Should the HIG advise use of Check and Radio menu items?

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 18:58, Christian Rose wrote:

> "Hide menubar" should only be used if a checkbox isn't used, since the
> negation is a redundant and only confusing layer here -- instead of the
> checkbox simply representing the existence of the object, it represents
> the non-existence of the object, which is the opposite of the affordance
> of the checkbox itself.

Right, although right now there's no way of accessing that menu while
the menubar is hidden, so you'd never see "Menubar" in its unchecked
state, which kind of defeats the purpose :)

I guess we ideally need to invent some standard way of getting at the
menubar even when it's hidden, e.g. by implementing it as something like
an auto-hiding edge panel, or just making sure it temporarily reappears
when you press F10, or Alt+F, or whatever.

Cheeri,
Calum.