[Setup-tool-hackers] Debian unstable time configuration

I've been playing with gst and found out that for debian unstable, the
NTP server configuration does not work. The problem is trivial and is
caused by the fact that there is no /etc/init.d/ntp script anymore, the
script is renamed (don't know why) to /etc/init.d/ntp-simple: changing
this in the time-conf backend fixes the problem and everything works as
expected.

So, should be have a new setup branch in the scripts for debian-2.x
never than woody (2.3), which still uses old script name, or should we
have a separate hack for this one? Can we check for both ntp and
ntp-simple in configuration tests?

What about other backends/interfaces except the 5 current ones? I can
see in the backends directory scripts for printers and many other things
which don't currently have any interface, and I have no idea if these
backends are usable at all anyway (are they from older gst releases?).

I'll be in debconf3 and debcamp3, then hacking session before debconf
(see http://debconf.org/debconf3/). I'm interested to spend my time
there looking at gst integration to debian.

Stuff I would like to see myself in gst:
  - CUPS printer configuration
  - Sound card configuration
  - Filesystem configuration, with removable devices detection and
    support for cfs/cryptoloop setup (maybe per user)
  - Network share configuration (NFS,samba,lufs)
  - X configuration: server configuration
  - Font management
  - Network card parameters: it's sometimes necessary to set f.e. MTU
  - WLAN card parameters (SSID for example) to network settings
  - DSL (with pppoe) support to network settings
  - IPv6 configuration
  - VPN support: IPSEC tunnels with shared secret or certificates?

Most of these _have_ some code in backends, but what is the status of
these? Well, there is a lot to do ;)

	*hile*
--

This is a digitally signed message part