[Setup-tool-hackers] Re: Gnome System Tools + PGI + Progenyhackers + more developers from Debian = working Debian Desktop

* =?windows-1257?Q?Mantas_Kriau=E8i=FBnas?=

| I think Debian desktop distribution shoud use a PGI installer
| (http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/) for installation with automatic
| harware detection (PGI uses discover, mdetect and other debian tools
| for automatic hardware detection) and GNOME System Tools
| (http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/) for configuration.

How are you going to use those tools over a serial line?  GNOME
won't work unless you have a graphical terminal.  Having people
looking at what solutions Debian is actually working on, how they work
and what problems they solve that some other solution doesn't solve,
before suggesting how and what solutions Debian should use.  Also,
putting code where your mouth is might get you somewhere.  That means
getting PGI to work on all those arches where it doesn't today.

Currently, Debian is going for debian-installer.  It is modularized
and frontend-agnostic.  It currently uses discover for hardware
detection.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-