cycle-class behavior

Can I just call cycle-class without binding it to a key? I'm trying to get it so when I hit a hotkey it either launches a new Eterm, or if one is already open switch to it, or if one is already open and focused cycle to the next open one. However, when I call cycle-class by hand nothing happens. When I do it in sawfish-client I get an error that it can't find it even though it's in the sawfish manual. I tried (require 'cycle-class) but that didn't fix it (although the error went away). Ideas? :P