Re: viewports and workspaces

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 01:02:23PM -0400, Brad Barnett wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just wondering if anyone had considered this, or can think of an easy way
> to enable it.
>
> What I'm looking for is viewport position memory.  That is, let's say I
> have 6 workspaces, and each of these has a viewport 3 high, 1 wide.  Now,
> let's say I consider desktop 6 my "work" workspace.. and that I typically
> have xterms open with ssh connections to remote boxes here.
>
> What I would like, is to have Sawfish remember what part of the viewport I
> am focused on when I leave and return to a workspace.  So, let's say that
> I have three different remote machines I am working on, all for different
> people.  Workspace 6 is still my "work" workspace, but on the top viewport
> I have one client, the middle another, and the bottom a third.
>
> What would be incredibly convenient is if Sawfish could remember my
> position in these viewports.  Let's say I am working on the bottom
> third viewport, on workspace 6.  I move to workspace 2.. do some work (at
> the top 1/3 of the viewport) and then return to my "work" workspace.  It
> would be great if I found myself back on the bottom third of the
> viewport.. so I could continue where I left off.

workspace-persistant-focus [sic] by Kevin Sivits is an extension that remembers
which window you have focussed on each workspace, and then refocusses that
window when you return.  It should be pretty simple to extend that work to
remember the viewport position (viewport-{x,y}-offset) as well.  You will need
the window-refocussing behaviour in any case, I would have thought.

http://www.sics.se/~lofgren/sawmill/repository.html

Cheers,

Ewan.