Re: [sabayon] Running sabayon-apply at login

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 11:26 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 03:47:55PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hey,
> > 	So, I think these are our options
> >
> >   1) Install a script which runs sabayon-apply as
> >      /etc/X11/gdm/Postsession/:0
> [...]
> >   2) Document that you need to add /usr/sbin/sabayon-apply
> >      to /etc/X11/gdm/Postsession/Default in order for profiles to get
> >      applied.
> [...]
> >   3) Add a PAM module which would run sabayon-apply.
> [...]
> > 	I think we should just go with (2) for now and look into adding a hook
> > to the default GDM scripts for us. Although I'm not totally convinced
> > yet that (3) is a terrible idea.
>
>   shouldn't the hook be put in gconfd somehow ? we don't depend on gdm
> but we depend on gconf, and IIRC a per user gconfd is started in each
> session, right ?

	Well, with (2) we're basically punting to the distributer or admin and
saying "you need to plug sabayon-apply into your login scripts". That's
not so bad, distros do all sorts of customizing login scripts.

	As for hooking it into gconfd - you actually need sabayon-apply to run
before gconfd is started and gconfd gets shut down and restarted during
idle times in a typical session.

>   What I like in 3/ is that it will still work in non-standard environment
> it's the closest to Unix semantic.

	Note, though, that tt doesn't bring us any closer to "working out of
the box" than (2) does. Its still something admins/distros would need to
configure.

Cheers,
Mark