[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: AudioCD patch

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 23:06 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Not sure how similar but maybe the totem playlist stuff could be
> broken out into the same library as well.

The totem playlist stuff is in it's own library, but it's build as part
of totem - so it isn't really separate, unless you're on a distro that
splits the packages up.

> Looking forward to when ever you get the time, knowing how well how
> hard it is to get time to do stuff...

It actually turned out to be a lot easier than I thought (assuming that
everything still works), the current patch and new files are attached.
Basic audio cd support is pretty much done, so this could probably be
committed, if there aren't any problems.

Can people with any of the following, who use CVS, please test this
patch and report if it works for them:
* non-Linux systems
* multiple CD drives, with audio CDs in more than one drive

1) non-HAL (i.e. non-Linux) support

The patch now monitors all cd drives to check whether the door is open,
and check for new audio cds when it goes from being open to being
closed. This won't work for drives that don't report door-state,
obviously including slot-loading drives. About the only ways I can think
of getting it to work with slot-loading drives on non-HAL systems are:
a) add a "refresh cd drives" menu item (ugly),
b) convince someone smart to port HAL to them, or
c) convince someone smart to get gnome-vfs to report audio cd insertions
using method available on other platforms (e.g. GEOM on freebsd)

2) Metadata lookup

I've taken it out for the moment, so that it can get tested and possibly
committed. Once the library has been broken out from SJ, it should be a
trivial patch to re-add metadata lookup. Re-adding support using the
copies of the SJ source files, it would just be a matter of dropping
them in and putting the musicbrainz stuff back in configure.ac

3) player-subtype & multiple cd drives

I've taken out the subtype stuff, and replaced it with ~40 lines of
extra code in rb-player-gst. It would probably be better not to have
cd-specific code in there, but 80% of those few lines are needed to
handle multiple cd drives anyway.

So if anyone interested can test this and report on whether it work
properly, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    -- Hamilcar Barca