Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] bluecurve icons

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 21:31 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> A lot of icons are yet in gnome-icon-theme in {16x16,24x24}/stock/media
> (BTW I'm sure some of those was added just for Rhythmbox) and other
> places. Here is the (complete?) list
>
> rb-library		-> stock_music-library
> rb-audiocd		-> gnome-dev-cdrom-audio
> rb-ipod			-> gnome-dev-ipod
> rb-iradio		-> stock_channel (stock/net)
> rb-automatic-playlist	-> stock_smart-playlist
> rb-playlis		-> stock_playlist
> rb-repeat		-> stock_repeat
> rb-shuffle		-> stock_shuffle
> rb-volume*		-> stock_volume*
>

> Plus, of course, GTK+ media stock added in 2.6 and available also in
> stock/media directory

Now that RB depends on GTK 2.6 (0.8.8 didn't) we can probably change all
of those over. Below is a list of all the icons, and where they get used
(if at all).

play, pause, stop, next, previous and rewind aren't referenced in
rb-stock.h, so those are just a matter of no-one removing them from cvs.

visuals, audiocd, ipod, playlist-menu, dnd-icon and volume* are in
rb-stock.h, but aren't actually used - so would can remove these.

album: this is used in some commented out code, which makes it displayed
in the header. We can probably get rid of it, unless someone can think
up a good use for it.

playback-error: the icon is used in the "now playing" column of the
entry view, to indicate that playback of a particular track failed. We
can probably use one of the stock error icons instead - maybe
stock_error-next/stock_error-previous, stock_dialog-error or stock-stop?

paused: this is theoretically used in the "now playing" column for the
playing track, when it is paused - however in practise
RBEntryView->priv->playing is _never_ set to false, so this doesn't
actually get used. We can remove this, unless we want to fix the bug.

playing: this is used in the "now playing" column when a track is
playing. The icon appears to be basically a 12x12 stock_volume-max, so
perhaps we could use that instead.

library, iradio, playlist, smart-playlist, shuffle, repeat: these have
stock versions as you pointed out above, so we should use them.

*star, tray-icon: These are fairly RB specific, although I guess the
rating stars could be useful in other similar programs. I personally
think the new tray icon looks much nicer, but I'm not so much a fan of
the yellow stars.

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 17:39 +0200, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> Clearlooks does not inherit bluecurve by default and GNOME remains
> using the gnome icon theme by default (Fedora may have that set up
> differently).
>
> Can you please revert this change? If you have any icon requests, I
> will do my best to put them either in gnome icon theme or rhythmbox
> itself.

From the list above the only ones we need to keep are *star, tray-icon
and possibly the "now playing" column icons. I'm not sure if the rating
stars would be changed by many themes, and we should probably just pick
a good tray icon.

That's my 2c on all the icons. Once we've come to some kind of agreement
on which ones we keep in RB, and which ones we just use stock icons for,
it should be fairly easy to change them.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.
It's like television without the television part." -- James "Kibo" Parry