Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox and MPD

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 09:46 +0000, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Could anyone here comment on MPD (http://www.musicpd.org/) from a
> Rhythmbox point-of-view?
>
> Here is what has sparked my interest.  In my household music primarily
> lives on a central server, which I access with Rhythmbox from various
> computers via NFS or SSH.  My problem has been that unless these
> connections are reliably maintained, Rhythmbox will start purging files
> from its database.  Recent stable versions of Rhythmbox do not even seem
> to support SSH, at least not the gnome-vfs flavor.

That's because of deadlock problems. It is currently low-priority, but
will get worked on eventually.

> When songs have been lost from Rhythmbox, Rhythmbox must be instructed
> to re-import, which can take forever.  Very uncool when showing off.
>
> The MPD client-server model seems like an intriguing alternative
> approach.  Unfortunately, the current crop of MPD clients are not
> particularly inspiring, at least not for someone wired for Rhythmbox.
> This leads me to the following question: Would it be possible for one of
> the Rhythmbox "sources" to be an MPD server?  In other words, could
> Rhythmbox provide its current functionality, while operating as an MPD
> client?  Anyone?

Does MPD also create its own playlists, etc.? If so, you might be
interested in making it either use DAAP, or adding support for its
specific ways of handling playlists in Rhythmbox itself.

Cheers

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
I actually thought that was an appropriate death for Captain Kirk.
Although 'falling off a bridge' isn't really an appropriate description
of what happened to him. -- Patrick Stewart