Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox

There are certain ways of handling software installed by RPM that are
not always obvious when mixing new software and old software.  Read
inline for what I _think_ is going on here.

>  From the home page, I understood this:
>
> It is free software, designed to work well under the GNOME Desktop, and
> based on the powerful GStreamer media framework, or the Xine framework.

While this is true, it is a compile time decision.  That means that you
choose which backend you want to use when you compile Rythmbox.  So when
you download an RPM that decision has already been made.  THe default is
usually GStreamer as it is the next big thing in audio/media backends
for freedesktop and the default for gnome-2.6

> ... to mean that rhythmbox works under GNOME and that it can use either
> the GStreamer media framework -or- the Xine framework.  Looking at the
> requirements, I decided to go with Xine.  So, I got the RedHat 9 xine
> rpms and installed them thus:
>
> [nak@dhcppc1 installers]$ apt-cache search xine
> xine-lib - Core library for the xine video player.
> xine - A free multimedia player.
> xine-skins - A collection of skins for the Xine video player.

Xine has its own media player, all you technically need for this is
xine-lib, which is the backend library.

> I got the 0.6.8 version using an rpm found on
> http://yarrow.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=886
> [nak@dhcppc1 installers]$ apt-cache search rhythmbox
> rhythmbox - Music Management Application
>
> I get the following error attempting to use rhythmbox:
>
> [nak@dhcppc1 installers]$ INFO (13213: 0) Initializing GStreamer Core
> Library version 0.6.3
> INFO (13213: 0) CPU features: (00000000) MMX SSE
> INFO (13213: 0) registry: loaded global_registry in 0.220444 seconds
>            (/var/cache/gstreamer-0.6/registry.xml)
> rhythmbox: relocation error: rhythmbox: undefined symbol:
> ORBit_skel_class_register
>
> [2]+  Exit 127                rhythmbox

This looks a lot like this Rythmbox RPM was compiled to use GStreamer
backend and not xine.  Therefore  its probably not finding what it wants
and isn't even looking for xine.

> I'm not sure what the ORBit_skel_class_register refers to.  I have
> checked, and the following is installed:
>
> [nak@dhcppc1 installers]$ apt-cache search ORBit
> ORBit - A high-performance CORBA Object Request Broker.
> ORBit-devel - Development libraries, header files and utilities for ORBit.
> ORBit2 - A high-performance CORBA Object Request Broker.
> ORBit2-devel - Development libraries, header files and utilities for ORBit.

I think this is a red herring (like communism) and that gstreamer, or
the lack thereof, is your problem.

> I have also tryed compiling the latest version 0.7x. Which, to be
> honest, is the one I want, as it is the first with iPod capability.
> Unfortunately, there are a host of problems with that approach:
[...]

yeah this is one of the problems with RPMs.  Dependencies.  What
happened here is that even if you did have the correct versions of all
of these libraries, RPMs do not come with any header files.  What that
means is that you can't compile code against an RPM by itself.  You need
to have the corresponding devel package.  e.g. You may have gtk-2.2.2
RPM installed, but in order to compile packages against that library you
need to install the gtk-devel-2.2.2 RPM which has all the header files
and other things for software development.

It is also important that the package and its devel package match
versions.

> I attempted to find and install a version of gtk+-2x, and found only one
> rpm for it.  An install attempt yielded three screens full of dependency
> errors relating to installed components.

It surprises me that you don't already have gtk+2.x installed as Redhat
9 uses gnome 2.2 I think, which uses gtk-2.something so it should
already be there.

> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Regards.

So in the end, get gstreamer installed and try the Rhythmbox RPM again.
However, if you really want 0.7.1 and can't find an RPM, you need to....
switch to Gentoo.... D'oh! Sorry, I tried not to do that.  No seriously,
you need to get all the devel packages required by Rhtyhmbox in order to
install  it.  These may or may not be available yet as most of them are
pretty bleeding edge (like gsteamer).

I think most of what I said is correct.  Good luck getting this
working.

John