Re: Background Capplet UI

<quote who="Federico Mena Quintero">

> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 23:18 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > Here is a patch I just cooked to move the background capplet back to
> > instant apply. The patch includes a requirement on the
> > yet-to-be-released gtk+ 2.8.12 to depend on the cairo workaround patch
> > that Federico so generously worked on, so that we can at least ensure
> > some amount of speedup from previous incarnations fo the desktop.
> >
> > Also, rather than using the "Close" button, I have changed it to use the
> > text "Finish" with the stock apply icon, based on the user testing that
> > suggests instant apply with "Close" is confusing to target users.
>
> +1 from me.
>
> We can start a project early in the next release cycle to make the
> Close/Finish buttons consistent.

Can I suggest that this is *not* the right way to go about things. Changing
the 'Close' button to 'Finish' means that this dialogue will be inconsistent
from all the others, and thus, we're inflicting totally unnecessary churn on
our users. Making this single change actually has a negative impact, despite
being made with good intentions.

Inconsistency and churn are biting us (but mostly our users) on the arse
these days, and we need to approach change in our user interface in a more
mature manner - we can start doing that now, by planning for this change but
not actually making it ahead of time.

So, great big -1 for me, in the 2.14 branch - but let's go nuts fixing this
in the HIG and in everything we ship during 2.15.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
II OSWC: Malaga, Spain             http://www.opensourceworldconference.com/