Re: Wishlist request - module build order

On 9/9/05, Tomas Ögren <stric acc umu se> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a little feature request for the release notes (or somewhere
> linked to).. Having a module build order list like the 2.8 release
> notes (which was slightly out of order, but mostly correct)..
> Preferrably with an URL to external dependencies (at least where they
> are/were available at release time, had some trouble finding the correct
> xrender tree for instance)..

This information is embedded into the jhbuild modulesets put up at
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/releng/2.12.0/.  You can extract
the information by downloading those files and taking a look (they are
simple xml files).    I understand that it might be a little more
painful to get the build order out by just looking at the files, by
you can use jhbuild to help you, like so:

1. Download jhbuild # Note: just hit enter when asked for the password
 $ mkdir -p ~/cvs/gnome2
 $ cd ~/cvs/gnome2
 $ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome login
 Logging in to :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome
 CVS password:
 $ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome checkout jhbuild
2. Install it
 $ cd jhbuild
 $ make install
 $ cp -a sample.jhbuildrc ~/.jhbuildrc
3. Download gnome-2.12.0 modulesets
 $ cd ~/cvs/gnome2/modulesets/
 $ wget -r -nH --cut-dirs=5 ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/releng/2.12.0
4. Create your ~/.jhbuildrc
 $ cp -a sample-tarball.jhbuildrc ~/.jhbuildrc
5. Get your list (you can also add the '-r' flag to get version numbers)
 $ jhbuild list
6. (Optional) Have the building from tarballs be automated for you
 $ jhbuild build

I should probably put those steps up somewhere.  Anyway, I don't have
the time to extract all the URLs manually and put everything in a
pretty page but if you'd like to, one of us (e.g. Jeff, Murray, or
Luis--those who have worked on the website and release notes) may be
able to stick up a link somewhere.

Cheers,
Elijah