Re: 2.10 release notes screenshots

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 09:47 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

>Davyd, have you managed to do anything yet? Is this still on track?

Ok, so things were delayed, but still vaguely on target. I have uploaded
a number of shots so far. One will be a little hard, which is the
Gnome-Meeting shot. I don't currently own a webcam. Perhaps Damien can
provide a shot for us.

>> > I'd like to have the release notes finished by March 2nd so that they
>> > can be translated in time, though I suppose it's not awful if we only
>> > have the text for the <figure>s then.

>Translators want to localise the screenshots too, so it will be a big
>help if we have the screenshots by March 2nd.

This will be a little fun, there are going to be variations between
every translation (unless our translators are digital mockup experts).

I have attempted to minimise the number of GIMP tricks I've used. All
windows have a 5px offset dropshadow, unless otherwise specified. Some
shots use a gradient to blend them into the alpha channel.

If translators need more help with how to construct the shots in the
same way, they should email me. If they get really stuck, I might have
enough time to composite some images for them.

A further tip for translators. Create yourself a new user (I use Rupert
GNOME) and run his session inside Xnest. Then you can use Gimp outside
of Xnest. This will not work for some things, totem, anything XKB
related, etc. However, these are less of an issue, there are few
preferences to get in the way that would mess up the otherwise nice
defaults.

More info on request, I might also be more coherent after I've slept.

--
Davyd Madeley              http://www.davyd.id.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://www.davyd.id.au/pgp/>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA