Re: UI Freeze Break for the Desktop Background capplet

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 15:31 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 8/15/05, Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com> wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > So I'm told that adding support for lockdown of keys breaks the UI
> > freeze. Is the patch for bug #312903 low key enough to get in for
> > 2.12? Thanks.
>
> It helps if you describe the bug and the solution in the email. For us
> lazy release team people ;)

*makes mental note*

> From a quick skim, it doesn't break UI freeze meaningfully (it won't
> really impact screenshots, right? unless the screenshooter is trying
> to explain what happens if a key is locked?)

Right. It works exactly the same as it does now, unless you lock a key,
in which case, the UI associated with it, gets disabled.

> Whether or not it is a bugfix or a feature... well, I guess I'm
> tempted to just let it slide and say 1 of 2. I assume you've tested
> this diligently? I really don't want to hear people filing that their
> background chooser is segfaulting :)

I've compiled it, and it doesn't crash. The code really isn't changing
that much. It's basically moving a bunch of calls into a new method,
and adding a check to make sure the key is writable. Though, now that
I look at the code beyond things that would be obvious and not compile,
I see a couple of issues, though nothing fatal. One line of code that
does not need to be there (that I had already asked the patch author
to remove), a small style issue, and a leak. All of these are simple
to fix though, and I'll put up a patch that has those fixes tonight.