Re: pango_layout_set_text_static

  - Make sure the text is nul-terminated, even if you pass a
length,

Fair enough.  If someone sends a length, revert to copying.
I used to think I was doing Pango a favour by supplying a
known length.  In reality it seems to slow down things.

  - Make sure the text is valid UTF-8.  We currently replace
invalid bytes with '?', but that will change soon and -1 used
instead!

Ditto, i.e., silently revert to copying if the string is not valid UTF-8.

We also ought to be able to avoid walking over the string four
times or more in _set_text.  That is a bit excessive, even if the
caches are hot.

M.