Re: [Fwd: libpng shared memory patch]

Behdad Esfahbod a �it :
Note that even moving from .data to .rodata is desirable anyway,
even if it doesn't result in reduced memory consumption, it does
result in reduced relocations which is good.

Behdad, could you elaborate about this ? I thought that relocations were only found on pointers, and given that "constant" pointers in PIC code must be stored in writable memory to be fixed up, I don't see why moving from .data to .rodata would result in any reduction in relocations ?

not to say that reducing the size of .data isn't desirable regarding page sharing though.

Regards,

- David

--behdad
http://behdad.org/