Re: Memory statistics

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 01:34 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> > - The private_dirty for libraries is under 14 MB on my box.  This is
> > much smaller than the heaps for fat apps (i.e. hundreds of MB for
> > Evolution/Mozilla).  So, reducing .data and friends is probably
> > interesting only for embedded devices.
>
> My  beacon is the OLPC.  14 MB out of 128 MB total memory is
> worth optimizing.  So yes, if you call OLPC an embedded device,
> that's true :).

Very wise words... even low-end laptops around here have 128 MB.

I don't know what the hell I wasn't running the other day, but now, on a
session with just { gnome-terminal, emacs, evolution, epiphany, gaim } I
get

	Private_dirty for file mappings: 25120 KB

which is pretty scary :)  I'll eat my words of .data and friends not
being significant [hmm, wonder how much of this is not .data but
relocations].

I'll put a table of the output in my activity log; the numbers are
interesting.  libcrypto from openssl is particularly fat; BenM mentioned
that on irc.

  Federico