HELP! Building ORBit2 for Gnome2.2 -- BORKED error???

Hi, when I try to run ./configure in the ORBit2-2.6.0/ directory I get
this error:

checking for popt.h... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
configure: error: Linking is badly borked on your system. Please ensure
yout library path is correct.
Check config.log for details - check near the end of the log above
'failed program was'

I'm using pkg-config 0.15.0 if it means anything...
I've successfully built and installed libxml, llibxslt, gtk-doc,
glib-2.2.1, linc, and libIDL.

Thanks for any help!
-Ben Davis