Orbit under Win32 - Plea for Help!

Hi orbit-list,

I'm trying to port a MIDI file player from Linux to Win32.  The player is
actually a CORBA server and forms part of this open-source project:
http://doors.sourceforge.net

I've managed to get it to build under Win32, but I'm having problems with
Orbit.  I require Orbit because the player is written entirely in C.

I'm using http://orbit-resource.sourceforge.net/win32/ORBit-0.5.1-win32.zip
because that's the only version I can get to build under windows.  This
requires MS VC++ 6.0 (right?), so now I have to build my whole project with
MS VC++ 6.0.

The player needs to communicate with a "controller", which is a Java 1.4.1
CORBA server built using JavaIDL.

At first calls made on the controller by the client just hung.  I fixed this
by applying the "JAVACORBA" patch to my Orbit source tree as described here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orbit-list/2001-December/msg00021.html

The player accepts requests from the controller no problem.  The player also
successfully calls this method on the controller:

void registerDevice(in string ior, in string name, in StringSeq interfaces);

But when the player calls:

void unregister(in string name);

on the controller, the player dies with the following error message:

> Error is: 2
>
> ** WARNING **: Whoa, we overstepped the number of bytes we were
> supposed to read by 12
>
> ** CRITICAL **: file C:\temp\ORBit-0.5.1-win32\src\IIOP
> \connection.c: line 1301: assertion `connection->is_valid'
> failed.
>
> Repo ID is: IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

Other times the error message is:

> Error is: 2
> Repo ID is: IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

And other times the error message is:

> ** WARNING **: discarding message type 1 (id possibly 18)
[and then it hangs]

I really need help with the following questions:

* Does anyone recognise the error/know how to fix it?  Remember I'm using
Orbit 0.5.1  I guarantee that all components are built using the same idl.

* Has anyone got Orbit2 to run under win32?
http://www.gnome.org/projects/ORBit2/ says "The core ORB [snip] runs under
Windows."  Is this true?

* Does anyone know another open-source CORBA implementation which runs under
win32 and supports C bindings?  There is only ORBit, right?

I have a little spare time, and I could host/maintain "ORBit for Win32"
documentation, but I would need help getting it to work!

Thanks in advance...

- Adam.