Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

As a little background, many of the preemtive multitasking real-time vendors run their drivers in "user space" for greater control. Actually it is more acurate to say that they don't have "kernel space" drivers, everything is in one flat process space and everybody understands what it means to bump up the priority of a particular service. Programming is simpler, debugging is simpler, and process inversion (almost) never happens.

Michael Rothwell wrote:
Ben Ford wrote:

Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???

Well, Perl, I don't know. But the USB 'driver' for my Canon PowerShot
S20 runs in userspace. Seems a safer place to do things.

-M