Re: Network Monitor Capabilities in NM

Nikolaus Filus wrote:

> It's name is NetworkManager, not NetworkMonitor and the guys here
follow
> some (clever) usability guides
>  that say, don't clutter the UI with too
> much information. Especially, when there are other tools for doing so.
>
> I'm using gkrellm as monitor for all relevant data, I want to monitor.
> Have a look at it ...

Then they should avoid displaying the signal strength of wireless
networks as well, as the normal network monitor applet provides this
information and it's not essential for _managing_ network connections.
Or the other way round: I think additional information is essential for
_managing_ network connections.

To my mind, _monitoring_ the active network connection is just an
augmentation of the nm-applet with additional information that doesn't
clutter the UI in contrast to using several different applets / utils to
do on taks, i.e. managing all available network connections. It's a
question of confusion as well.

Thomas